Thursday, March 10, 2016

Seattle trip

We have been wanting to check out Seattle since we moved to the Northwest, so we finally did it! I was a little nervous because the forecast was for rain (big shocker there, ha!) but it wasn't too bad. Saturday was beautiful and Sunday it rained on and off. We mostly did the usual touristy things, but we had a lot of fun doing it!

Driving up we had such a great view of Mt. Rainier (NO clouds!). I'm kind of a dork but I get all excited about volcanoes, I just think they look so cool! Our first stop was to Kerry Park. I read that it has some of the best views in the city, and I'm a sucker for pretty views.

^Enjoying the view at Kerry Park

^Family selfie!
Beck's bald head looks so huge in this picture, ha! 

^There was a little playground at the park. 
So of course we had to stop and play a while

It kind of took us forever to get anywhere, which is to be expected when traveling with little kids. After the park we were hungry so we stopped for donuts at Mighty-O Donuts. I've been on a pretty big donut kick lately and they were very yummy and organic. So that makes it okay to eat 2 of them, right??

Our next stop was downtown and to check out the Seattle Monorail. It was built in the 60s for the World's Fair and is super retro. It's only a 2 minute ride and takes you right to the Space Needle. Ruby is a big fan of trains, she calls them "chee-chees" so it was a big hit.

 ^On the monorail... this is her excited face :) 

^We didn't go to the top, but we walked around the area. 
I loved the retro 60s architecture.

After we rode the Monorail back downtown, we walked down to the waterfront. It was starting to get dark and Pike Place Market was shutting down, so we kept walking to the Seattle Great Wheel. If you don't know what that is, it's this big ferris wheel right over the water with an awesome view of downtown Seattle. I think this was my first time on a ferris wheel? I really can't think of another time I  have been on one. Ruby had so much fun but I was a little freaked out about the heights haha! When it was moving I was okay but when it stopped to start letting people out, we were of course at the very top, and that's what I was most afraid of!

^My buddies on the ferris wheel

We got a hotel for the night which was an interesting experience with 2 kids! Beckett of course woke up a lot and ended up waking Ruby up at 5 am and she didn't want to go back to sleep. It was not a very restful night, to say the least.

Sunday morning we went to Pike Place Market. This was probably my favorite part. I loved all the pretty flowers, especially the tulips! And the fresh fruit and veggies! One guy gave me a sample of a Muscat grape. Have you ever heard of them? I hadn't and they are SO good. I'm kind of obsessed now. Apparently they make wine out of them, haha. I had to buy some and we pretty much ate them all the way back home to Portland. The market kind of reminded me of Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia, but with a west coast feel.

^Blue skies! For like 5 minutes :)

^This is what happens when you wake up at 5 am, haha.
And notice the pretty bouquet I bought!

^I was seriously in love with all the fresh flowers


So that's it for our Seattle trip. It was pretty quick and we didn't get to do everything we wanted to, but I'm glad we went. My legs were killing me at the end of this trip! After walking up those big hills with a 20 pound baby in an ergo baby carrier... definitely a work out!

Before I moved out here, I always thought Portland and Seattle were kind of the same, but they are pretty different. Seattle has a lot more of a coastal feeling and is way bigger. I noticed people were very friendly in Seattle. Once when we were looking pretty lost, like 3 different people tried to help us. But I still love Portland, it's just the right size.

Do you guys have any other suggestions for our Pacific Northwest bucket list? I also want to go to Crater Lake and Bend, but those are much longer trips, so I'm not sure if they will happen!

And in other news...I am thinking about getting serious with this potty training business. Ruby seems ready. So I'll let you guys know how it goes. Any last minute tips are welcome!

1 comment:

  1. That bouquet is so pretty! Sounds like a fun weekend, despite the babies waking each other up, hehe.

    ReplyDelete